How To Live Like A Local
Founded in 1651, Gloucester, Virginia is, “the land of the life worth living” and we couldn’t agree more! So, we’re sharing local insider tips on how to live like a local. Whether you visit on vacation to eat and shop or have recently made our community your home, welcome to Gloucester!
Where To Eat
- Olivia’s In The Village – Located at 6597 Main Street in Gloucester, VA. Menu items include fresh seafood, sizzling steaks, and pasta seven days a week! Family friendly. To make a reservation, please call tel: 804-694-0057 or visit their website at http://oliviasinthevillage.com/ $$
- Lulu Bird’s Kitchen – Located at 6553 Main St in Gloucester, VA. Delicious made from scratch specials using locally sourced ingredients. Family friendly. For hours of operation, please visit their website at http://www.lulubirds.com/. For parties and events, please call tel:804-210-1417 $$
- Bubba’s Shrimp Shack – Located at 4900 George Washington Memorial Hwy in the White Marsh Shopping Center. Reasonably priced seafood with HUGE portions & the best fried fish in town! Family friendly. View their menu items at https://www.facebook.com/bubbasshrimpshack/menu/ or call them at tel:804-684-5428. $
- Juan’s Mexican Cafe & Catina – Located at 2310 George Washington Memorial Highway. Open breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ordering online is available! Family friendly. Visit their website for their full menu at https://juanscafeandcantina.com/ or call tel: 804-642-5401. $
- The Rivah – Located at 6618 Main Street in Gloucester. A clothing, jewelry, and accessory boutique shop for women and children. For store hours of operation, please visit their website at https://www.shoprivah.com/ or call tel:804-577-4291. $$
- Up South – Located at 6628 Main St in Gloucester. Womens apparel, accessories, and gift boutique. Visit their website at https://up-south.myshopify.com/ or call tel:804-693-2159. $$
- Yolanda’s – Located at 6658 Main Street in Gloucester. Unique women’s clothing and accessories for sizes xs to 3x. Visit their website at https://yolandasonmain.com/or call tel:804-693-3939. $$
- Brent and Becky’s Bulb Shop – Located at 7900 Daffodil Lane in Gloucester. A third generation family owned business. Brent and Becky’s Bulbs, (formerly Daffodil Mart) have beautified home gardens and communities for over 100 years. The bulb shop offers flower bulbs, gifts, and garden accessories or you can stroll through 8 acres of beautifully maintained flower gardens. Browse their website and order online at https://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/ or call toll free tel:877-661-2852. $
- Ware River Yacht Club – Located at 5992 Ware Point Road in Gloucester. Offers Junior sailing lesson summer camp and weekend sailing lessons for Adults throughout the summer. Cruises will also be available for any interested club members and families. For sailing lesson or club membership inquiries, please visit their website at http://www.wryc.org/or call tel:804-693-4175. $$$
- Bay Fly Fishing, LLC – Located at 8090 Kitchener Drive in Gloucester. Capt. Chris Newsome offers fly and light tackle fishing charters on the Chesapeake Bay of Virginia for all skill levels. Family friendly. For charter rate inquiries, visit their website at https://www.bayflyfishing.com/home.html or call tel:804-815-4895. $$$
- Beaverdam Park – Located at 8687 Roaring Springs Road in Gloucester. The 635 acre lake at Beaverdam Resevoir boasts plenty of fishing! Canoes, kayaks, paddleboats, and jon boat rentals are available at the Ranger Station. Bait can also be purchased at the Ranger Station while supplies last! Enjoy horseback riding, mountain biking, and hiking on their multi-use trail. If you want to avoid the horses and bikes, Beaverdam conveniently offers two hiker only trails. Family friendly. Free admission. For more information, please visit https://www.gloucesterva.info/523/Park-Trails or call tel:804-693-2107.
- York River Yacht Haven – Located at 8109 Yacht Haven Road in Gloucester Point. Full service marina at the mouth of Sarah Creek. The 14-acre rural site is in a natural “hurricane hole”, storm protected from every quadrant, making it simply the best local marina. Kayak, paddleboat, and boat rentals are available. Family friendly. To view the many marina amenities or for boat rental inquiries, please visit their website at https://yorkriveryachthaven.com/ or call tel:804-642-2156.
Arts and Entertainment
- Stewart Art Gallery – Located at 6655 Main Street in Gloucester. Fine arts gallery focused on the promotion of Mid-Atlantic and Southern artists. More than thirty artists are represented, specializing in Virginia landscape paintings. For gallery hours, please visit their website at http://www.stewartgalleryonmain.com/ or call tel:804-693-2696.
- Gloucester Brewing Company – Located at 6778 Main Street in Gloucester. Outstanding service and quality beers on tap! For more information, visit their website at https://www.globrewco.com/ or call tel:804-210-1407. $
- Gloucester Arts on Main – Located at 6580 Main Street in Gloucester. Art classes for Adults and children of all ages! Free painting sessions every Friday morning from 9a.m. to 12p.m. For more information, visit their website at https://gloucesterarts.org/ or call tel:804-824-9464.
- Rosewell Ruins – Located at 5113 Old Rosewell Plantation Road in Gloucester. Rosewell was one of colonial America’s most magnificient mansions. Nestled on a 3000 acre plantation, slaves grew tobacco and grain. Gutted by fire in 1916, four chimneys, one wall, and a vaulted cellar are all that remain. General admission is $6 for adults, $4 for children 6-11, and children under 6 receive free admission. For tour information and special events, please visit their website at http://www.rosewell.org/home.html or call tel:804-693-2585. $
Where to Stay
- The Inn at Warner Hall – Located at 4750 Warner Hall Road in Gloucester. 11 bedroom country inn on the historical plantation site created in 1642 by George Washington’s great-great grandfather. For reservation and special event inquiries, please visit their website at https://www.warnerhall.com/ or call tel:800-331-2720. $$$
- Quality Inn – Located at 6639 Forest Hill Avenue in Gloucester. Pet friendly, 3 star hotel with an outdoor pool. For reservations, please visit their website at https://www.choicehotels.com/virginia/gloucester/quality-inn-hotels/va315?source=gyxt or call tel:804-695-1900. $$
- Hampton Inn – Located at 6638 Forest Hill Avenue in Gloucester. 2 star hotel with an outdoor pool. Only service animals are permitted. For reservations, please visit their website at https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/hampton-inn-gloucester-ORFGLHX/index.html or call tel: 804-693-9393.